Jon Cleaves, lead designer at DGS Games, here to tell you all about the goings on with DGS Games, Freeblades, and Faelon.
First a summary of recent events:
– We released the Bandit Thief.
– We attended GenCon 14 and partnered with 19 and 1 to put on games for our fans existing and new. Players got to enjoy demo games, tomb crawls and arena matches. We met a lot of people and had an epic time.
– We have completed the masters for all of the Kuzaarik Forgers models and the delivery for our kickstarter is 100% on track.
– We will be mailing out the kickstarter rewards the last week of October. The Kuzaarik go on general sale on Black Friday, November 28, 2014. We will be hosting a Kuzaarik Release Party at Tabletop Game and Hobby, Overland Park, Kansas that day and encourage our players groups and retail partners do the same. Questers who want prize packages for a release party may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Retailers who want to host a release party may contact me or Tom at email@example.com.
– We will release the Falkaaran Sheriff’s Levy the first week of November and they will be on sale first at TsunamiCon in Wichita, KS, Nov 7-9.
– Perhaps the biggest news after the kickstarter completion is the move to a new website. Adam has been doing a ton of work in the background on this project and you will be hearing more about it very soon.
– As always, the primary thing that is happening with rules right now is the playtest of new models for the Freeblades line for existing factions. The playtest for the Kuzaarik is pretty much complete and the rules have gone into layout.
– Ok, so more proof that no one is perfect. We have made a mistake with some of the Black Thorn models’ gold values for which I am primarily responsible. We have been working on how to deal with this for a while now and think we have a solution that is best for the players. Instead of an errata that would modify the gold values back down, we have found and playtested appropriate talents that fit the models in question and the faction as a whole. You will shortly be able to download the final Black Thorn faction rules and they will include these changes. Kuzaarik kickstarter backers who are getting printed copies of the Black Thorn faction rules will be getting the final corrected version. These changes are completely in line with our philosophy that mistakes we make are not your bill to pay.
Here are the corrections, and these are official:
– Bodyguard: add Deflect
– Bounty Hunter: add Scout
– Mercenary Crossbowman: add Sergeant [Outlaw]
We think you will be very happy with these changes. They are entirely positive. If you are one of those players who do not play Black Thorn but play against them regularly and think you are being treated unfairly, you should look at it like this: your Black Thorn opponent has been playing down a few gold this past few months and you have been getting over!
We have made the decision to do these individually and not as a pack so we can release each one as soon as it has passed playtest muster. They will be part of the (initially) biweekly website updates on the new website. So, you will be getting the first one before the end of October.
What it is: Rules that allow players to recreate gladiatorial arena combat in Faelon. The set will allow players to play Arena in many different ways – stand alone, as part of an Arena league, as part of a combined Freeblades and Arena league.
Status: We initially playtested these rules with historical gladiators. We have playtested this set using the initial set of Freeblades fighters and demoed that at GenCon. The next step is to pull the rules together into a complete set. We intend to have a final set in place for Adepticon in March of 15. There will be an historical supplement called About to Die, which will allow the use of historical gladiators with these rules.
Freeblades Rules Companion
What it is: This will be a free downloadable pdf that places in ONE document all the things you need to fully play the game that are not in the main rulebook. It will contain the rules from the factions published after the rulebook (things like AoEs and the Gaalbohr), all of the talents in the game system to include league advance tables, the new scenarios, the additional faction stats, and core rulebook errata.
Status: in development. A release date has not yet been determined.
What it is: Our brass ring…lol. Free Captains is a battle-level game where players lead Free Companies, mercenary bands made of freeblades and running from 30-50 models on average based on faction and point level. Free Captains uses the same core mechanics as Freeblades but with three major additions. One is units. Followers and some heroes will be grouped up so that leaders can give them orders and will move and act together. Two is command talents. Captains and Lieutenants will be able to give commands to units that increase their abilities or allow them to perform in ways they cannot achieve alone. The third addition is one of scope. What players know now as a Freeband leader is a lieutenant in Free Captains. Captains are d16 level heroes with capabilities far exceeding any of the models currently in Freeblades. Yes, this means a promotion for some, like the Black Rose, who, when war comes to Faelon, gathers her associates across three lands into a company for hire. This is a preview of our army-level game Free Captains. This extends to Casters as well. The Casters in Free Captains will be more powerful than those supporting individual Freebands.
Status: playtest has begun. We will begin demoes of the game at Adepticon 15 if all goes well. There will be an historical version for which the working title is currently Hostile Shore. We are partnering with our good friend Matt Green at Laser DreamWorks to make HS. HS is more than a “pirate game”, but will certainly allow for ship to ship actions. In addition to the basic elements of Free Captains, HS will add a “cinematic mode” where the two leaders square off and the action becomes more about them and the other heroes and followers play a supporting role to their duel. Think Errol Flynn and Inigo Montoya.
What it is: Our roleplaying game.
Status: Remains in playtest. We have not moved faster with this project yet because we have not found the right partner to move it to the front and currently too many other projects are competing. Also, and this is just a practical matter, it does not make sense to put a lot of effort behind a roleplaying game until our background is more widely known. We feel Arena, Hostile Shore and Prince of Tales (see below) will give us the reach we need to bring this labor of love to publication. I would guess it will become a late 2015/early 2016 project, but it’s early to say.
Prince of Tales
What it is: An anthology of fiction containing stories of characters from across the World of Faelon.
Status: Stories being written and edited. We have ten authors lined up and some of the stories are complete, others in draft. This will be a kickstarter at some point that will produce both a printed trade paperback and an e-book.
What does this all mean for your Freeblades models?
-You can play them as a freeband in Freeblades, or fighters in Freeblades Arena.
-You can play them as a free company in Free Captains.
-You can play them in a league that uses one, two or all three of those games.
-You can roleplay with them in BrightSword.
-You will see their story grow as we publish more and more background and fiction about them.
So, yeah, we are busy. Come join us and bring your friends, there is a ton of exciting stuff happening here and the sky is no limit to what we plan to do.